Jan 19, 2010

Dialogue: The Fine Art of Conversation.

For the following weeks you will start to see my illustration references books that I have. I love to buy books form different illustrators and see how their illustrations have changed over time and plus seeing great illustrations inspires me and motivates me to one day have an illustration book with my illustrations or to be part of a collaborative illustration book. Today's "From my library to yours" I present you:
Dialogue: The Fine Art of Conversation:Inspirational Letters and Paintings.
This book was put together by Mark Murphy from Murphy design, you can visit his website HERE 
I love collaborative books, and even more when it has illustrators. The reason the book is titled DIALOGUE, has to do with the theme of the illustrations. The illustrators were encouraged to find a letter, note, receipt, document or anything that was given to them that included a handwritten note or a message that stuck with them --that they have kept-- and to illustrate that letter and the emotions it brought them. Some letters and their illustrations brings a smile, a laugh, a loss and a lesson. I quotes Murphy's because he describes it better than me, after all I'm not a writer:
 "You and I are emotional collectors of the past. Subconsciously, we're connected to these personal artifacts. We are physical packers of 'Stuff' that we do not feel comfortable of letting go. When we feel empowered and strong, we entertain moments to cleanse ourselves of these emotional objects. Maybe not? It's possible, we carefully plan the over-stuffing of our garages, closets, boxes and drawers full of things that make up our person. What do we do with all these cards, reports, love letters, notes from mom and dad, official documents, recipes, awards, and ticket stubs? All of us hang on to these things for one reason or another. Amazingly enough, we admit that these collections are deeply personal, loving, supportive and/or utterly ridiculous. We feel guilty throwing anything away that is handwritten. We keep the good with the bad, as we believe the thought, effort and time vested by an associate or loved one needs to be cherished. We keep the bad and incriminating notes, just in case. Our collected 'dialogue' move us through the tough times and makes us get tough during those challenging moments when no one seems to be around. We save to be remembered. Move through" Love it, Mark Murphy ladies and gentlemen.
And now the moment you are all waiting for, a sneak peek to the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment